Monday, February 1, 2010

Baby, I got you....

So, for the weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day, everything my boyfriend tried to plan for us to do failed because I’m not 21 yet. Fuck my age. It sucks to have a birthday in the middle of the year when there are no real holidays to celebrate. I’ve been in a relationship with him for several months now and relish in the fact that not only do I have a valentine this year, but I have a boyfriend who is my valentine.

Leading up to Valentine’s Day we tried an array of different things. We tried spoken word, must be 21 to enter. We tried a Mediterranean restaurant, must be 21 to hookah and drink. We tried the hottest annual poetry and music festival, got to be 21 for that too. I was at my wits end trying to find something romantic for two young lovers to get into that didn’t involve a ton of money and would really bolster the Valentine’s Day spirit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the nail salon, I voiced my dilemma to my girl friends, “What are y’all doing for Valentine’s Day this year?”

“Girl, me and Ryan are going to go to the big V-Day bash at that new restaurant/ club in Atlantic Station, I heard there’s going to be a TON of celebrities there,” Melissa says with a wide smile.

“And what about you and David,” I ask Kelsie.

“Well, Metro Lanes is having this V-day package thing where for $100 per couple you can get four hours of bowling, appetizers, drinks, and sexy goody bags,” she says with a giggle.

“And let me guess for both of y’all’s plans you have to be 21 right?” I ask with frustration.

“Yeah,” they answer in unison.

I blow out hot air, mad that I can’t get in with the in crowd and do something special and different like them.

We conclude this week’s girl time at the salon, to which I go home frustrated and disappointed.

I call my boyfriend, to voice my frustrations with him.

“Sweetie, I’m upset. What are we gonna do for Valentine’s Day that doesn’t cost $100 and I can actually get into?” I whine.

“Baby, don’t worry. I got this. Whatever we decide or find to do will be fine. As long as we are together, the day will be special regardless,” He assures.

I love how he can calm me down and make me feel better about whatever situation arises, but I’m not convinced. I have faith in him, but I just don’t know. Valentine’s Day is tomorrow.

“I’ll tell you what, be ready to go out around 3 tomorrow. The weather man says it’s going to be around 62° out. So dress casually, but bring a sweater or something.” He instructs me.

I smile as I reply with an “Okay.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Valentine’s Day
Sitting on my bed, looking at all the clothes in my closet. For a girl with an overflowing closet, I have nothing to wear. I try on like seven different outfits before I can even settle on a possibility.
I decide to consult my fashion maven roommate to get her input and style tips. I place on my bed the three outfit choices and model them for her.

Outfit #1
A white 1950s inspired dress with an abundance of purple floral prints. Purple closed toed espadrilles, laced around the ankle. Chunky emerald green pearl bracelet and necklace

Outfit #2
Dark denim straight leg jeans, red leather flat riding boots, red lace camisole and black wrap sweater. Gold heart shaped pendant and simple gold bangles.

Outfit #3
Red suede knee high boots, black leggings, white v-neck sweater dress with ruching along the sides. Red belt. Long gold loop chain.

Elly, my fashion guru for the day, studies each outfit like her dissertation depends on it. She gives me advice on the accessories and how to make the clothes fall into each other creating a cohesive look. After much debate, I end up wearing outfit #3 with the boots and jewelry from outfit #2.

After choosing an outfit, I shower, shave, fix my hair, and apply my makeup. Not a moment too soon, my phone rings and it’s Marc telling me he is outside waiting for me.

I scamper outside, excited for what he has in store for us and what surprises await me today.

Marc leans over giving me a comforting and loving kiss on the lips. I smile and giggle like a school girl, savoring the butterflies in my stomach right now. We drive off and I take in the scenery as we drive to our destination.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Piedmont Park
We arrive at our destination, Piedmont park. This is by far my most favorite park of all Atlanta’s parks. You can pick any spot in its vast hill-laden grassy knoll and see a beautiful skyline and abundant foliage.
Marc exits the car, quickly going to the trunk. I curiously follow him. Marc takes out a picnic basket, blanket, and mini radio.

Eyebrow raised, I ask “What have we here, Mr. Le Deux?”

“Well, you said there is nothing in the city that we can do for Valentine’s Day that was inexpensive and age appropriate. I wanted to prove to you that no matter where we are, as long as we are together, everything will be wonderful.” He reassures me.

I give him a kiss and thank him for being great.

I unravel the blanket, placing it on the ground and we unpack the picnic basket full of ABC pesto chicken sandwiches, sea salt & pepper chips, raspberry tea, and my favorite brownies.
We conclude our Valentine’s Day lunch with a walk through Piedmont and stimulating conversation.

I think about how immature I had been these past weeks and realize that he is right. Valentine’s Day isn’t about how flamboyantly romantic one can be or how much money can be spent, it’s about the time spent, the emotions discovered, and the connections that we make with our significant other.

No comments:

Post a Comment